Wednesday, June 13, 2012

"Those Small Acts of Kindness..."

"I have a theory that if one person can go out of their way to show compassion, then it will start a chain reaction of the same. People will never know how far a little kindness can go."
-Rachel Joy Scott, First victim of the Columbine High School Shooting



I first heard about this girl my freshman year of high school in a school wide assembly where they introduced a little something called "Rachel's Challenge." To put it simply, it was a way to change the world (or school) for the positive by doing small acts of kindness.

When this assembly was over, everyone was all "I want to do it! I want to change people for the better!" and signed a banner saying that they accepted the challenge. a couple weeks later, Rachel's challenge was forgotten in the minds of many.

At times, I forgot about that challenge, but it wasn't until I was on the opposite side of it that I understood that I needed to continue the challenge even if no one else wanted to follow in my footsteps.

It wasn't easy, but I sure felt a lot better about putting a smile on someone else's face, and before I knew it, they were doing the same for me and they made all the difference.

















What I'm trying to say here is, be careful with your words. Some of them can be twisted and changed into something that you never meant to say and can hurt someone deeply. 

Then again, words can be fantastic too! I don't know of many people who frown upon a simple "Hi! How's your day been!" or "Hey, I just want you to know you're a fantastic person and you mean a lot to me"

Those small little words can make someone's life change




No comments:

Post a Comment